The company was established by Robert Gillow (1704-1772). He travelled toLancasterto train as a cabinetmaker.Lancasterwas a major trading port at this time, and Robert was able to forge important links with the West Indies, importing high quality mahogany fromJamaica,Cubaand theHondurasafter setting up his business. Gillows of Lancasteris renowned in the world of fine furniture, with antique cabinets by thisLancashirefirm held in the same esteem as those of Sheraton and Chippendale. Gillows was producing fine furniture for over 200 years – the majority of it for the aristocracy and upper classes and opening in 1740 London branch quickly establishing himself as a cabinetmaker of international importance. Robert Gillow was joined by his sons, Richard and Robert, who helped develop the company’s reputation. The company furnished public buildings inAustralia,South Africa, Europe,Russia,Indiaand US, also worked with Pugin on the interiors of thePalaceofWestminster, around 1840, later diversifying into fitting out passenger liners and luxury yachts. The last furniture by Gillows of Lancaster was crafted no later than 1903, when the firm merged with S.J Waring to form Waring and Gillow.