Sn4926 Exquisite quality Victorian break fronted bookcase or a credenza in amboyna wood and burr walnut, having mirrored upstand with original bevelled edge glass and brass gallery above, flanked by turned finials raised on finely carved, fluted and gilded columns, flanked by further gallery with gilded spindles all above booked matched veneered top with satinwood stringing and ebonised banding and panelled and gilded frieze. The projecting open section has two height adjustable shelves with turned, reeded, gilded and leaf carved columns and is flanked by panelled cabinet doors, each with original working lock and decorated with gilded harebells to the top and a vase to the base, each enclosed height adjustable shelves, flanked by carved corners, all standing on shaped plinth base. This antique cabinet or sideboard retains its original finish which has been cleaned, revived and waxed and original patina, all in wonderful home ready condition. Stamped by Gillow & Co 10755. c1890
H39.5″-top H51.5″-max W60″ D17 3/4″ D15.5″ D11.5″-shelvess D10″-shelves
H100cm-top H131cm-max W152cm D45cm D39cm D29cm-shelves D25cm-shelves
The company was established by Robert Gillow (1704-1772). He travelled to Lancaster to train as a cabinetmaker. Lancaster was a major trading port at this time, and Robert was able to forge important links with the West Indies, importing high quality mahogany from Jamaica, Cuba and the Honduras after setting up his business. Gillows of Lancaster is renowned in the world of fine furniture, with antique cabinets by this Lancashire firm held in the same esteem as those of Sheraton and Chippendale. Gillows was producing fine furniture for over 200 years – the majority of it for the aristocracy and upper classes and opening in 1740 London branch quickly establishing himself as a cabinetmaker of international importance. Robert Gillow was joined by his sons, Richard and Robert, who helped develop the company’s reputation. The company furnished public buildings in Australia, South Africa, Europe, Russia, India and US, also worked with Pugin on the interiors of the Palace of Westminster, around 1840, later diversifying into fitting out passenger liners and luxury yachts. The last furniture by Gillows of Lancaster was crafted no later than 1903, when the firm merged with S.J Waring to form Waring and Gillow.