Sn4829 Exceptional Art Nouveau mahogany music cabinet, having shaped tray top above open shelf and 5 satinwood crossbanded drawers, all fitted with original stylish Art Nouveau copper handles, standing on elegant shaped legs united by apron. This fine music cabinet retains its original finish which has been cleaned, revived and waxed, all ready to place at home. c1900
H38.5″ w22″ d16″
h98cm w57cm d41cm
A. Wilson, Peck & Co, Sheffield was open for business by 1896, by two founders – Arthur Wilson (a pseudonym) and John Peck. They established a big retail shop on Pinstone Street, right opposite the town hall, which they named Beethoven House. Traces of a large painted advert for the shop’s original occupiers can still be seen in the alleyway left of the shop. Their business was described as pianoforte, harmonium and American organ merchants, tuners and repairers, as well as sole agents for Bechstein pianos. And they also sold 78 rpm records and sheet music.
A 1956 advert claims the shop to be “the place to go for everything musical: Pianos, Television, Radio, Radiograms, Records, Concert Tickets, etc.” Rooms upstairs would be hired out by piano teachers who gave lessons.
The record section was in the basement, with listening booths and the ticket counter. To ensure a ticket for the bigger shows, you had to find out when they were going on sale and queue up, sometimes overnight (26 hours to get tickets for Bob Dylan at Earls Court in 1978 was one fan’s record!).